Executive Vice President & Chief of Real Estate Development
Company: EDEN HOUSING, INC.
Posted on: April 3, 2021
Eden housing does not discriminate based on race, color,
religion, sex, disability, familial status, national origin, or any
other arbitrary basis. Broker number 872400. Executive Vice
President & Chief of Real Estate Development in Hayward, California
- Careers at HQ - Central Office Skip to Main Content Please Enable
Cookies to Continue Please enable cookies in your browser to
experience all the personalized features of this site, including
the ability to apply for a job. Welcome page Welcome page Returning
Candidate? Log back in! Executive Vice President & Chief of Real
Estate Development Job Code DJOB # of Openings 1 Category Real
Estate Development Summary COMPANY BACKGROUND/CULTUREEden Housing
creates and sustains high quality affordable housing communities
that advance equity and opportunity for all. Founded in 1968, Eden
Housing has developed or
acquired more than 10,000 affordable apartment units in 160
communities and 16 counties in California.For more than a decade,
Eden has been recognized by Affordable Housing Finance as one of
the Top 50 Owners of Affordable Housing in the United States and is
recognized in California and Nationally for its innovative work in
affordable housing. Eden has three operating affiliates - a
development company, a property management company and a resident
services company. For nearly 53 years, Eden has been the partner of
choice for communities throughout California to meet their
affordable housing needs.
We believe that our housing and services provide a foundation for
economic stability and advancement for the many residents we serve.
Our housing and services programs strive to create community for
our residents, and we offer programs that promote resident success
including health and wellness, eviction prevention, financial
coaching, literacy and afterschool support and expanding technology
access in underserved communities.Eden is committed to long-term,
sustainable ownership and takes great pride in our success in not
only building housing but preserving and enhancing that housing
over the many decades we own it. We have substantial commitment to
green and sustainable practices and were among the first
non-profits in the country to embrace green retrofitting in our
existing portfolio. Our expertise in portfolio repositioning and
preservation resulted in our completion of 3 merger/acquisitions of
smaller non-profit organizations.Eden is also considered a leader
in affordable housing policy and has worked closely with its
industry peers to advance significant legislation and funding
initiatives at the local, state, and federal level to foster the
creation of more affordable housing Essential Duties &
Responsibilities KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
The Executive Vice President & Chief of Real Estate Development is
responsible for overseeing real estate development, acquisition,
and large-scale repositioning of portfolio
assets for Eden Housing, one of California's most productive and
successful non-profit affordable housing developers. The position
reports to the Chief Executive Officer and will
work closely and effectively with other key leaders and staff of
Eden. Executive Team Participation
- Proven collaborative leader who can work with other department
heads to formulate corporate goals and objectives.
- Ability to work closely with CEO and executive peers to lead
Eden's collective goals and further cross-departmental initiatives
(Permanent Supportive Housing, Rehab Programs, DEI, green and
sustainability, and other key programs)
- A strategic leader who can help create and implement strategy
that results in the creation of lasting affordable housing
developments that meet the needs of low-income residents.
- Help build organization understanding, commitment and action
toward social, racial and economic justice by placing an equity
lens on department activities. Development Department Leadership
- Lead strategic growth in affordable rental,
acquisition/rehabilitation, mixed income, mixed use, seniors,
permanent supportive housing and special needs development.
- Cultivate and maintain strong, collaborative working
relationships with Property Management, Asset Management, Resident
Services, Administration and Accounting functions.
- Supervise Eden's development team (est. 30 - 35), including
Vice Presidents, Directors, Associate Directors and all project
- Lead expansion of Eden's statewide presence. Eden's
Headquarters are in Hayward and we have a significant presence in
the Bay Area, we have offices in Monterey Bay and in
San Diego. The new strategic plan calls for substantial expansion
including building a larger presence in the Southern California and
- In conjunction with VPs and Directors, supervise the execution
of real estate development projects from initial conception through
construction, to lease-up and stabilized
occupancy or sale.
- Direct reports include Vice Presidents, Directors/Associate
Directors and others as appropriate. Business Development and
- Lead the generation of new development clients and projects,
consistent with Eden's strategic goals.
- Develop and maintain partnerships and relationships with Eden's
stakeholders (Eden partners include cities, counties, other
non-profits, and for-profit developers.)
- Expand development and finance-related networks beneficial to
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with existing and
potential capital providers, including lenders, equity investors,
foundations, and public housing finance entities.
- Constantly scan the environment for and pursue potential new
projects in Eden's existing and targeted markets and potential
financing tools that may be of value to Eden. Management &
- Ensure that the development team has the resources needed to do
its job most effectively.
- Assure that all development projects are designed, financed and
constructed in a manner consistent with Eden's strategy, goals,
high quality standards and underwriting guidelines.
- Insure a robust development pipeline.
- Travel as necessary to manage relationships and monitor
- Be the key contact in all applications with agencies/government
and the point person on all project-level documents.
- Ensure that Development staff receive the appropriate training
to perform to Eden standards.
- Be a resource to Development team on financial and technical
issues surrounding development projects at various stages of
- Facilitate strong communication and collaboration between
development staff and other Eden staff.
- Ensure the project management team is aligned with all
- Assure a strong talent development program. Develop annual
individual employee action plans and regularly monitor performance.
Perform annual and periodic reviews of
employee performance. Work in conjunction with HRTD to assure
and support for staff development.
- Help establish Eden as a "best practices" real estate
practitioner in each market.
- Establish team priorities and provide help and/or additional
resources team needs it.
- In conjunction with VPs and Directors, assign roles on new
projects and manage staff to ensure timeliness and accuracy.
- Lead cross-departmental problem solving and initiatives.
- Master's Degree (M.A.) or equivalent, preferred, preferably in
related areas (e.g., real estate, urban planning, economics, or
- 15 years of related experience and/or training in housing,
planning, business or real estate finance, or equivalent
combination of education and experience. Skills and Experience
- Superior leadership skills with proven ability to direct
multi-disciplinary department teams and activities: lead by
example, formulate and execute company-wide goals and.objectives,
and assess achievement.
- Embody Eden values of integrity, relationship orientation and
- Strong communication skills (internal and external) with
capacity to communicate about.Eden's mission and values.
- Ability to lead a development team with an emphasis on building
a strong core of nextlevel leaders and systems that enable staff
supervision and staff development, particularly in a time of
- Experience in all aspects of the development process, including
planning, permitting, design, construction, underwriting and
- Ability to represent Eden to a wide variety of internal and
external audiences, including public officials, financial
organizations, community organizations, staff teams and lowincome
- Strong mathematical and financial analytical skills, including
- Proven ability to oversee the structuring of complex financial
transactions to maximize both social and financial returns and
manage company risk.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Polished, articulate public speaker, comfortable with a wide
variety of audiences.
- Experience working with a diverse working group.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the concerns and needs of lower
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Strong conflict-resolution skills.
- Experience closing Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) funded
- Experience with state/local politics, government planning, and
resource and tax credit allocation processes, including
establishing effective relationships with local officials, planning
boards, and neighborhood groups. Working knowledge of entitlement
and public approvals process.
- Experience in multi-phased public-private development and mixed
income development projects desirable. Personal Attributes
- Easily able to identify with and commit to Eden's mission and
- Collaborative, flexible, team player; relates well to
colleagues at all levels of the organization
- Results-oriented, can-do attitude, with a professional
- Organized, detail-oriented
- Innovative thinker, creative problem solver; quickly identifies
and resolves customer issues
- Strives for efficiency
- Hands-on, willing to do whatever it takes to get the job
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate customer service standards
into all employee job responsibilities
- Values diversity to ensure multi-talented team strengths;
promotes a spirit of inclusion
- Identifies employee opportunities for growth Options Apply for
this job online Apply Share Email this job to a friend Refer Sorry
the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please
refresh the page and try again later. Share on your newsfeed
Loading... Application FAQs Software Powered by iCIMS
Keywords: EDEN HOUSING, INC., Hayward , Executive Vice President & Chief of Real Estate Development, Executive , Hayward, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!